What Is Integrative Psychiatry?
Integrative psychiatry is a holistic approach that uses both conventional and complementary therapies in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Personalized treatment plans are developed to suit each person’s lifestyle and strengthen self-awareness and resources for self-care. These treatments may include:
- Functional and nutritional assessments of individual health differences and needs, which can be addressed in a natural manner through diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, and supplements where indicated
- Mind-body centering exercises that increase the relaxation response
- Guided imagery to engage the mind in the healing process
- Somatic (body-entered) approaches to promote self-awareness and empowerment to engage the inner healer
Why Integrative Psychiatry?
- To facilitate engagement in one’s well-being. This is done by facilitating awareness of the effects of lifestyle, emotions, and social interactions on health and getting in touch with one’s inner capacity for healing
- To offer a more holistic/person-centered approach to individuals who have not tolerated or responded optimally to traditional psychiatric treatments
- To create a more active engagement in psychiatric care that involves revisiting symptoms at regular intervals and changing treatment plans (including medications) when indicated
Are there contraindications for Integrative Psychiatry?
- Individuals with severe symptoms, active suicidality and active psychosis may require a more intensive level of psychiatric care.
“We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction.” ~ Otto Neurath
Supportive Psychotherapy is offered in my visits. Providing additional insights and an opportunity to identify challenges and navigate diagnosis management. Practical strategies delivered in a relaxed setting and conversational style to engage you in self-empowering strategies for dis-ease management and better understanding of behavioral and emotional patterns to aid you in moving towards change and wellness.
Sessions may also utilize ancestral archetypes in therapeutic work, weaving Integrative therapies when and where appropriate. I remain committed to offering therapeutic and Individualized work in these trying times with each of our visits by scheduling longer visits. The work we do can be a complement to your regular therapeutic work if you already have a therapist.
Medication & Symptom management is in conjunction with psychotherapy (with your private therapist and/or our visits) and requires a psychiatric diagnostic evaluation. You will receive guidance for de-prescribing, when desired after a discussion of appropriateness and safety.
NOTE: Controlled substance prescriptions, including benzodiazepines or psychostimulants, are not done via telehealth for NEW patients and generally are not prescribed in our first visits.
All medication management services are provided in conjunction with patients engaged in regular psychotherapy with another provider or in visits allowing guidance and /or supportive psychotherapy with this practice.
Please note: These services are considered as a treatment option for clients that there is an established relationship with at this time.
Ann Marie has completed the 100- hour Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) training in MDMA-assisted therapy. Currently in the supervision part of a certification training in Ketamine Assisted Therapy with Polaris Insight Center.
I am committed to delivering these services in a safe and supported way as part of a holistic approach to your treatment plan. An important piece of the work includes building a therapeutic relationship that moves towards collaborative decision making regarding these treatments to facilitate growth and healing.
132 Main St, Montpelier, VT 05680;
On-street Parking ONLY, NO elevator
Phone: 802.552.0636 Fax: Fax 802.810.0966